Microsoft will end support for their Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 on January 14, 2020.
While this may seem like forever, here are the top reasons to upgrade immediately:
- The sooner a business plans migration to newer operating systems or the cloud, the smoother the transition and less disruption there will be.
- Regulators are beginning to fine companies a lot more for data breaches – especially if they feel a company was negligent by ignoring a needed upgrade.
- Cyberinsurance prices are skyrocketing. If you thought the increases for college tuition were bad, you will be shocked to know cybersecurity insurance costs increased 37% in 2018!
- Insurers raise rates more quickly for companies who have been breached!
- Customers and partners will lose trust in your organization if you have a breach. They lose even more trust if they believe you are at fault for putting their personal information at risk.
- Business disruption is becoming a bigger issue. Companies need to figure out how to get back online as well as determine what data, if any was stolen. This could mean weeks of downtime.
The countdown has begun – you have eleven months. Now is the time to start discussing this with IT or your MSP. Then you should budget and plan to ensure your company is prepared.
Apex Technology Services has experts on hand to help if you have questions about migration or anything else related to IT or cybersecurity. We are happy to assist.